Sunday, November 28, 2004

Inspirational quotes for an uninspired world

I just thought I should share these. They sum up things that I believe in and things that I want to aspire to.

The Future happiness of the human race depends on good people who want to live in peace with their neighbors, and are willing to protect their neighbors from those who don't want peace.

Orson Scott Card
Shadow Puppets


All we did was what we knew that tomorrow you would have wished we had done today.
Orson Scott Card
Shadow Puppets


I hope I am able to apply these to my everyday life everyday, not just when it seems applicable. We don't always realise things in time, nor do we always see everything, but I think all of us have wished that people would see us or realise our situation and then stand beside us in whatever way they could and offer us their support, their compassion and their solidarity. Maybe if I start today doing what I can then tomorrow someone else might see that. Maybe they will remember that and one day take a chance and for a moment see what is going on for someone else. They might even help someone else and understand how good it feels just to help. In doing so they might want to do it more often and others will see and repeat it. Conscience is not innate, it is learned, and if not practiced it atrophies.

8 Comments:

At November 30, 2004 at 12:14 PM, Blogger natolkow said...

All true! I have more and more recently become chagrined with the moral state of today's society. People no longer seem to care about other people, and if they do it seems to be all about changing them, ie. TV shows like "The Swan" and "Extreme Makeover". Think of what people 60 years ago would have said about such shows! And whatever happened to helping people just for the sake of helping them, with no expectation of anything in return other than happiness? I woe that we have come to such a crossroads.....

 
At November 30, 2004 at 7:01 PM, Blogger christian said...

eep! nick's being converted to the cult of mormon!

 
At December 1, 2004 at 4:59 AM, Blogger Paul said...

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

 
At December 1, 2004 at 9:37 AM, Blogger natolkow said...

I think Paul smells like cat food.

 
At December 3, 2004 at 7:38 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Actually I have not converted. There is nothing to convert, I believe in punishing wayward people but I also believe in protecting everyone from abuse. And I do not want to become a mormon, except maybe for the multiple marages thing .... that could be good .... hmmmm. Oops, sorry off topic .... ummm .... yeah .... Nope still myself, ummm, havena joined any cults or nothing just worried about the state of human interrelations these days.

 
At December 4, 2004 at 8:32 AM, Blogger christian said...

I just meant that O.S. Card is a mormon, and much of his works could be construed as subtle propaganda for his church...

but really, other than the first book of the ender series, and possibly pastwatch, I haven't been impressed with much of his stuff. the ender's shadow series just blows...

 
At December 9, 2004 at 8:37 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Really, I felt quite the opposite, it needed some more of the emotional touch but I enjoyed the use of the networks and the subtle manipulations of the battle school kids.

 
At January 2, 2005 at 3:57 PM, Blogger Corinne said...

"I believe in punishing wayward people but I also believe in protecting everyone from abuse."

Is punishment not abuse? Is there not a better way to help people who are doing things "incorrectly" than perpetuating abuse?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home